MTP kit is a combo pack of two abortion pills namely Mifepristone and Misoprostol. MTP kit is recommended to end an early unwanted pregnancy, which is less than 9 weeks (63 days) of gestation. It gives pain-free, infection-free and confidential abortion at home.
Generic Mifepristone works by inhibiting the functions of natural progesterone hormone, which is responsible for the continuance of pregnancy by providing proper supply of oxygen and nutrition to the fetus inside the womb. After inhibition of progesterone hormone, fetus may die due to improper oxygen and nutrition supply.
Generic Misoprostol works by contracting the uterine wall muscles and eliminate the dead fetus, placenta and embryo from the womb of a female.
Dosing information of MTP kit-
MTP kit contains total 5 tablets, 1 tablet of Mifepristone (200mg) and 4 tablets of Misoprostol (200 mcg each).
- On the first day- You have to consume a single Mifepristone tablet by mouth with a sufficient amount of water.
- On the third day- You have to take 4 tablets of Misoprostol by mouth or vaginal route.
- After 14 days of drugs, visit your nearby hospital for the confirmation of complete abortion.
When you should not take MTP kit?
MTP kit is not taken in case of-
- Hypersensitivity towards generic Mifepristone and Misoprostol
- Chronic adrenal failure
- Endometrial problem
- Ovarian cysts
- Blood related problem like anemia or leukemia
- Girls under the age of 17 years
- Ectopic pregnancy (fetus outside the womb)
Which drugs may interact with MTP kit?
- Blood thinners- Warfarin, Heparin and Coumadin
- Anti-convulsant drugs- Phenytoin, Phenobarbital and Carbamazepine
- Antibiotics- Clarithromycin, Telithromycin and Streptomycin
What adverse effects occur after abortion?
After abortion, painful and prolong bleeding through reproductive part is very normal and this bleeding continues for 7 to 14 days.
Other adverse effects of MTP kit are annoyance, pelvic pain, inflammation of the vagina, stomach pain, muscle pain, cramps and white discharge from the vagina.
What safety precautions should be adopted after abortion?
- Eat healthy, nutritive and iron containing supplements as it helps in the revival of health.
- Avoid intercourse as it may induce the risk of getting pregnant.
- After abortion, you have to avoid heavy physical exercise, strenuous activities and skipping as it may cause pelvic pain due to heavy pressure on the pelvic area.
- Don’t interleave any device or tampons into your vagina as it may increase the risk of contamination.
- Complete bed rest is mandatory after abortion.